There are at least five towns in the Bible that had the name Mizpah (watchtower).
- Mizpah in Gilead (present day Jordan - Genesis 31:23-49)
- Mizpah in Galilee (at the foot of Mt. Hermon - Joshua 11:3, 8)
- Mizpah in Judah (near Lachish - Joshua 15:38-39)
- Mizpah of Moab (where David fled from Saul - 1st Samuel 22:3)
- Mizpah of Benjamin (the most prominent of the all—associated with the following...)
- The judgment of Gibeah leading to civil war - Judges 20-21
- Samuel's national convocation to renew Israel's covenant with God - 1st Samuel 7:5-12
- The selection of Saul as king - 1st Samuel 10:17-27
- The seat of government after the destruction of Judah by Nebuchadnezzar - Jeremiah 40-41
Mizpah in Benjamin is located about 8 miles northwest of Jerusalem. It flourished from about 1,000-586 BC, when Judah was conquered by the Babylonians.