Jordan River



The Jordan River is one of the most well known of Bible Places. It is mentioned about 175 times in the Old Testament and about 15 times in the New Testament. Its name stems from a root word meaning to descend. That accurately describes the Jordan. Its source is the run off from Mt. Hermon in the north (over 9,000 feet in elevation). It ends in the Dead Sea (about 1,400 feet below sea level), making it one of the fastest flowing rivers in the ancient world. 

In a straight line, Mt. Hermon to the Sea of Galilee is less than 40 miles. Likewise, Galilee to the Dead Sea is less than 70 miles. So as the crow flies, the Jordan is about 100 miles long. However as it winds its way throughout the country, it is a little over 220 miles. 

It is shared by three countries; Syria to the north, Jordan to the east, and Israel to the west. 

The river is noted as the place of Jesus’ baptism. It was divided on three separate occasions for Joshua, Elijah, and Elisha. Naaman, a Syrian officer, was cured of leprosy when he dipped into the Jordan seven times. 

Unlike rivers in different cultures, the Jordan was not revered by the ancient Hebrews. Rather, it was seen as an obstacle; something that had to be overcome. To cross the Jordan became a statement of success—overcoming an obstacle to get a blessing or reward. That concept is behind the old Gospel song made famous by Johnny Cash, I Won’t Have to Cross Jordan Alone

When I come to the river at the ending of day 
When the last winds of sorrow have blown 
There'll be somebody waiting to show me the way 
I won't have to cross Jordan alone 

I won't have to cross Jordan alone 
Jesus died all my sins to atone 
In the darkness I see he'll be waiting for me 
I won't have to cross Jordan alone

Comments