Megiddo - Manger


Click on photo to enlarge it

When I returned from one of my trips to the Holy Land, someone asked if I had a photo of a manger. I showed him the photo you see above and with a surprised look on his face he said, “I thought a manger was a shelter for animals.” That is not the case. 

You’d probably think that the best example of a manger would come from Bethlehem, but that is not the case. As many times as I have been there, I have yet to find a manger to photo. 

A manger is nothing more than a feeding trough for animals. In ancient times, they were carved from stone. As time progressed you can find them made of wood and metal. 

When the Christ child was born, Mary “...brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. [Luke 2:7]

Comments